Depressed polar bear dies – level 3
A polar bear believed to be the last surviving on the continent of Africa has died, after months of “pining” for his long-time polar bear partner.
On Wednesday, Johannesburg City Parks and Zoo said polar bear Wang had to be put down, after suffering liver and heart failure.
Born in 1984, Wang was said to be heartbroken and depressed, taking the death of his life-long mate, Gee-Bee, very hard – tearing up toys and grass in the enclosure that they shared.
Thirty-year-old Gee-Bee was found dead on January 13 in the pool of her Johannesburg Zoo enclosure, after suffering a heart attack. The two had been partners since they arrived at the South African zoo in 1985, each of them barely a year old. At the age of 30, Wang was considered to have reached the full lifespan for a polar bear in captivity. Staff at the Johannesburg Zoo said that they were “distraught“.
Difficult words: pine (suffer because of a broken heart), tear (pull something into pieces), enclosure (area surrounded by a barrier), lifespan (length of time for which an animal lives), distraught (very worried and upset).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.