Derek Chauvin Trial – level 3
The trial is underway with a former Minneapolis, police officer, Derek Chauvin, who is charged in George Floyd’s death.
Derek Chauvin was filmed kneeling on Floyd’s neck for about nine minutes, and he is charged with three offences over Floyd’s death in May 2020. Three other police officers who assisted the arrest of George Floyd are set to go on trial in August on aiding and abetting charges. George Floyd’s death sparked wave of outrage and activism across the globe, and many people see the trial as a test of the US legal system’s handling of racial injustice.
Floyd’s family agreed to a 27-million-dollar civil settlement with the city of Minneapolis in March. The trial is expected to finish by mid to late April, and it will be watched by millions of people across the globe.
Difficult words: aid (to help or support), abet (to encourage or assist someone to do something wrong), civil settlement (an alternative to a trial when a matter is not solved in court).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos