Derek Chauvin will spend 22.5 years in prison – level 3
On Friday, a Minnesota judge sentenced a former police officer, Derek Chauvin, to 22.5 years in prison for the murder of George Floyd during an arrest in May 2020.
The video of the arrest on a Minneapolis sidewalk sparked global protests against police brutality and racial inequality.
The judge said that the global notoriety of the case wouldn’t sway him, and that the sentence wasn’t based on its emotion or sympathy. However, it was important to recognize the pain of Floyd’s family. According to the judge, Chauvin abused his position of trust and authority, and he showed particular cruelty to Floyd.
Chauvin’s prohibited from possessing firearms, ammunition, or explosives for the rest of his life.
Difficult words: notoriety (the state of being famous for doing something immoral or bad), sway (to control or influence), ammunition (bullets and rockets that are made to be fired from guns).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos