Dhaka’s first metro line – level 2
Dhaka is the capital of Bangladesh, and with 20 million people, it is one of the most populous cities in the world.
Dhaka had no rail system in the past, and the streets were always full of cars. Now, upset residents hope that this situation is going to change.
Last week, the first metro line finally opened after six years of construction. The first line is a part of a planned network of six lines and more than 100 stations. People often spent several hours to travel to work by car, so they were very excited to take the first train ride.
Officials expect that around 60,000 passengers will use the line every hour. An official announced that one carriage on every train would be for women only.
Difficult words: populous (a place with many people living in it), resident (a person who lives in a specific place), carriage (a part of a train where people can sit).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos