Dhaka’s first metro line – level 3
Long lines formed in the Bangladeshi capital Dhaka as excited residents waited to catch a train ride on the city’s first metro rail system.
Last Wednesday, the rail network officially opened by the country’s prime minister Sheikh Hasina. People took six years to complete the first line, and Japan largely funded it; Japan is a major development partner of Bangladesh. The full network will encompass six routes and more than 100 stations, and people hope it will alleviate traffic jams in one of the world’s most densely-populated cities of more than 20 million people.
Every hour, around 60,000 people will use the first line, and one carriage on every train will be reserved for women only.
Difficult words: encompass (to include over a large area or many ideas), alleviate (to lessen a problem).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos