Diana and HIV – level 3
Mildmay Mission Hospital, which is an HIV charity delivering care and treatment in England, held a party to celebrate Princess Diana’s life and legacy on the 20th anniversary of her death.
Helen Taylor-Thompson said that after making the introductions, Diana went up the wards, nurses took her round, and she spoke to every single patient. Diana’s bold statement, however, was that she was not afraid to touch the HIV patients. As one participant put it, ‘She opened the gates to say “Don’t be ridiculous, you can’t catch it that way.”’
Thanks to her gesture, Princess Diana changed the perception of the public, which at that time did not understand the disease.
Difficult words: legacy (the changes to the world, which a person makes), ward (a separate room in a hospital), bold (forward, unreserved), public (many people).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos