Diana’s Death Anniversary – level 2
Last Wednesday, it was Princess Diana’s 19-year death anniversary. This article looks back at her life.
In 1981, Prince Charles and she were engaged, and they got married at St Paul’s Cathedral. In 1982, Prince William, their first child, was born. Prince Harry was born two years later.
They did not live happily ever after, however. In 1992, Charles and Diana told people that they were separating, and in 1993 Diana resigned from her public duties.
However, she continued her charity work. She visited the Red Cross in Zimbabwe, and in 1997, she went to Angola. There she showed the world the problem of landmines in Africa.
On August 31st that same year, the People’s Princess, Diana and her boyfriend died in a car crash in Paris. On September 6th, people brought her body back to the UK and held a funeral for her.
Difficult words: anniversary (the day on which something important happened), separate (stop living together as a couple), resign (leave a job; stop doing something), public duties (the official things that the royal family must do).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos