Diego Maradona Dies – level 3
Argentinian football legend Diego Maradona has died at the age of 60 after suffering a heart failure. Earlier this month, Maradona underwent a successful surgery of a blood clot on the brain.
Maradona was widely regarded as one of the best footballers of all time, and he became a household name after Argentina´s 1986 World Cup win. His memorable performance against England, where he scored an iconic goal that he later described as the ´Hand of God´, eliminated England from the tournament. Later in the game, he scored one of the best goals in history after weaving his way past seven English defenders.
Although Maradona was adored by millions, he struggled with drug and alcohol addiction and he received several bans for substance abuse before he retired from the pitch in 1997.
Difficult words: blood clot (a thick and sticky clump of blood that stops blood from flowing through the vessels), household name (a person or thing that is well known by the public), weave (to move between and around things).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.