Dieselgate – level 3
On Friday, Volkswagen unveiled its latest electric car, the ID.4 SUV, that was showcased outside its factory in Dresden, Germany.
However, as the industry continues its drive to go green, Volkswagen is still feeling the fallout from its emission scandal, also known as Dieselgate.
It began in September 2015 when the United States Environmental Protection Agency issued a notice of violation of the Clean Air Act to Volkswagen. Volkswagen admitted that in 2015, it used illegal software to rig diesel engine tests in the US, which sparked the biggest crisis in the company´s history.
The company announced that it would get damages from former Chief Executive Martin Winterkorn and former Audi boss Rupert Stadler. Following a far-reaching legal investigation, Volkswagen concluded that Winterkorn and Stadler had breached their duty of care. However, both men denied responsibility for the scandal.
Difficult words: showcase (to exhibit), drive to go green (work to make something environmentally friendly), fallout (bad consequences), rig (to manipulate or control in a dishonest way), duty of care (a moral or legal obligation to ensure the safety or well-being of others).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.