Directors make a deal with Hollywood studios – level 2
Film and TV directors voted to accept a new three-year labor contract with major Hollywood studios. This will prevent another work stoppage because of the writers’ strike.
87% of the voters supported the agreement with an organization which represents studios like Walt Disney and Netflix. The deal includes wage increases, higher payments for streaming, and protection against artificial intelligence. The voter turnout was higher than anyone expected. The Writers Guild of America (WGA) was on strike since May 2 which has a bad impact on several TV and film projects. At the moment, there are no new contract talks between the WGA and the studios, and the writers’ strike.
The directors’ agreement won’t probably affect the writers’ position. Hollywood actors are also negotiating their contracts with the studios.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What impact do you think the new agreement between film and TV directors and major Hollywood studios will have on the negotiations between actors and the studios?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.