Dirty Lagoon – level 1
A beautiful clean lagoon is in Paraguay. The lagoon has two parts. Now, one part changes its color. One part is clean and blue. The other part is bright purple.
Local people are angry. They know what the problem is. They think that a factory makes the lagoon dirty.
Five months ago, local people tell authorities about this problem. However, nothing happens. The water gets dirtier.
Now, local people protest. They are not happy with authorities. Authorities find a pipe. Dirty water gets in the lagoon through the pipe.
Scientists take samples of the water. They test the water in a lab. Heavy metals are in the water. Heavy metals are things that are bad for clean water. The metals come from a leather factory.
Difficult words: lagoon (a small lake near a larger lake or river), pipe (a tube that carries water or gas), sample (a small piece of something), leather (animal skin).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos