Dirty Money – level 2
Andreas Flaten worked in a car repair shop in Georgia, US. He left the company in November 2020, but his boss did not pay him the last wages.
Flaten´s boss owed him 915 dollars and Flaten asked officials for help because he did not know what to do. His boss did not speak to him at all.
One day in March 2021, Flaten and his girlfriend saw a pile of coins in front of their house. There was an envelope with the paycheck and a rude message. There were about 90,000 coins and they were all dirty. It seemed that there was oil on them.
Now, Flaten works hard to clean the coins and then, he will be able to use the money. It takes him 90 minutes to clean several hundred coins.
Difficult words: owe (when a person must pay money to somebody because he borrowed it or because the other person did some work for him), coin (a flat, round piece of metal which people use as money), paycheck (the money which somebody gets for his work).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.