Dirty Rio waters – level 1
Guanabara Bay is in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Many people visit it. They enjoy the beautiful view over the bay.
There is a big problem. The waters in the bay are dirty and dangerous. Sewage and garbage from several big cities get into the bay. Another problem is that there are many abandoned ships. Officials say that there are at least 51 ships. Dangerous chemicals from the ships get into the water. Local people do not swim there. Fishermen cannot catch fish there anymore.
The Olympics are in Rio in 2016. The government promises to clean the bay. Banks lend millions of dollars. But nothing happens. The bay is still dirty.
Difficult words: sewage (dirty water from houses and factories), garbage (things which people throw away), abandon (to leave something or someone behind).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the problem with Guanabara Bay?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos