Disney characters in ice – level 3
This is the kind of festive creativity we’ve come to expect at this time of year.
Ice sculptors in Belgium are preparing to unveil their frozen winter wonderland to the public, as a host of famous characters are replicated in ice.
The Disney Dreams Ice Festival is taking place in Liege and Antwerp, and starring a host of characters and well-known films including Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland and the Lion King.
Four hundred tonnes of water were used to produce the eighty sculptures in Liege alone, with artists needing a total of five weeks to construct the kingdom.
The Liege exhibition opens on November 22, while the event in Antwerp opens its doors to the public on November 29.
But unlike fairy tales, there’s no happily ever after because once the exhibition closes, the artworks will be left to melt.
Difficult words: festive (cheerful), sculptor (artist who makes sculptures), unveil (show or announce publicly for the first time), winter wonderland (amazing place made of ice or snow), host (a large number of people or things), replicate (copy), happily ever after (positive ending to a story).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.