Disneyland in China – level 2
Disney opened its first theme park in mainland China. Tens of thousands of fans came to the theme park after a grand opening ceremony.
The park is Disney’s largest overseas investment at 5.5 billion dollars. It is a bet at China’s middle class and it’s growing domestic tourism. Around 330 million people within a 3-hour radius of Shanghai will be able to afford to come to the park.
China is continuing to make itself more attractive to investment from around the world. That is in turn mutually beneficial to America.
Difficult words: bet at (think something will turn out the way you want it to), domestic (national), mutually beneficial (beneficial – helpful for both sides).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.