Doctors switch embryos – level 2
In 2019, Daphne Cardinal gave birth to a baby girl after an IVF treatment. Shortly after the birth, her husband Alexander saw that the baby did not look like them.
Daphne breastfed the baby for months, and she formed a relationship with the baby, as did their five-year-old daughter. Then a DNA test confirmed that the Cardinals were not the baby’s actual parents, and an IVF clinic in California, US, switched embryos. The Cardinals met the other couple, and about a month later, they decided to switch their babies.
The Cardinals are suing the clinic for wrong treatment and for hiding information from them. They say that it was very difficult for them and their daughter to give away a baby who they spent several months with.
Difficult words: IVF (a procedure during which a doctor puts a man’s sperm into a woman’s egg in a laboratory), breastfeed (to feed a baby with milk from a woman’s breasts), embryo (a human or animal which is only weeks old, and it is inside its mother’s body).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos