Dog is saved in France – level 3
These images show the moment a dog was found buried alive up to her head in France. The French Mastiff was rescued by a man who was walking his own dog on waste ground west of Paris.
Pedro Dinis posted a series of photos on Facebook, writing only her head was visible and it was difficult to see given the amount of earth covering her. He said he posted the images to educate people about cruelty to animals.
The dog was taken to a vet, while his 21-year-old owner was arrested following the discovery.
The man reportedly denied burying the dog, saying it had run away. If he is guilty of animal cruelty, the owner could be jailed for two years and forced to pay a £21,000 fine. A petition calling for the maximum sentence for the owner has been set up online and has been signed by more than 280,000 people.
Difficult words: waste ground (an unattractive piece of land that is not used for throwing things away), reportedly (according to what people say), fine (money which you have to pay for doing something illegal).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos