Dog wants to hold hands – level 3
This Valentine’s Day we may see lots of loving couples holding hands, but for this homeless dog, it doesn’t matter what day of the year it is, she just wants to hold your hand.
Pinky, who’s an 8-year-old crossbreed, was taken to Blue Cross Animal Hospital in London to have surgery to relieve a painful ear condition after her owners could no longer care for her.
While at the hospital, the staff noticed she was constantly wanting to hold a hand. They say she’s so desperate for human company that as soon you’re near her, she lifts her paw for you to hold, meaning that the staff have become very good at typing with one hand.
Pinky is virtually deaf after a skin condition severely affected her ears, meaning the entire ear canal in one ear had to be removed. Her lack of hearing makes physical touch even more important.
Pinky is now looking for a new home where she’ll get all the love she craves, and if you’re feeling a bit lonely this Valentine’s, there’s one animal who would be more than happy to hold your hand.
Difficult words: homeless (without a home), crossbreed (a dog which is a mixture of breeds /types of dogs), staff (a group of people who work somewhere), constantly (all the time), desperate for (needing/wanting something very much), company (attention), paw (an animal’s “hand”), virtually (almost), deaf (unable to hear), lack (absence), crave (to want something very much).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.