Dogs born by IVF – level 2
In vitro fertilisation (IVF) is a fertilisation which takes place outside the body. Doctors fertilise the egg with sperm, and then they put it into a female body.
IVF has assisted in human births since the 1970’s, but scientists could not do this with dogs for a long time. The dog’s reproductive system is very different from other animals.
After 40 years of research, the first puppies to be born though IVF were born in the USA. This is an important moment in science because this can help us explain some genetic disorders.
Difficult words: fertilisation (the action of fertilising an egg – making it start to become a baby by putting sperm into it), research (studying and testing), disorder (a disease, illness).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you think in vitro fertilisation is a good thing or a bad thing?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.