Dogs help people – level 3
Parks, a two-year-old Labrador retriever, is the first facility dog for the Orlando Health Hospital for Children.
The dog’s now part of the team, and he’s already making a big difference. Parks knows dozens of commands to help calm patients and perform tasks, and he’s learning even more. He brightens the days, and also aids and rehabs when he holds a bat, hits a ball, and plays with children. According to medical workers, Parks adds some more care that they can’t provide.
Canine Companions has 475 active facility dog teams, and 70 of them now work in a hospital setting. The organization provides service and facility dogs at no cost. The pups are very eager to work and please, and they’re very smart. They undergo extensive training, and they learn tasks to help people, for example, pulling wheelchairs, picking up dropped items or opening doors.
Difficult words: facility dog (a professionally trained dog that does specific tasks), rehab (to return to a normal state after being ill or injured), eager (a strong desire or interest in something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.