Dogs help stop the coronavirus – level 2
French scientists found out that dogs could detect the coronavirus.
It seems that dogs can sniff COVID-19 in people´s sweat. Dogs could sniff COVID-19 in 97% of people who were COVID-19 positive, and in 91% of people who were COVID-19 negative. It means that they were more successful than some tests. The usual 15-minute tests, which people can do at home, can tell if somebody is healthy, but they are not so good at detecting the coronavirus.
The results mean that people could use dogs in airports, train stations, or other crowded places. It could be much faster than testing people and it would also cost less money.
Difficult words: detect (to find out that something exists), sniff (to use the nose to smell something), sweat (the salty liquid which comes out through the skin when somebody is hot, ill, or during exercise).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.