Dogs in Japanese offices – level 3
Japan’s tech giant Fujitsu is taking cues from Silicon Valley with a dog office to build a more attractive office culture.
Fujitsu is trialing its new dog office until the end of the year at its building in Kawasaki, about half an hour by train from central Tokyo, as a way to improve employee well-being and productivity. A 2021 study published in the journal Animals found that having dogs in the office leads to more social interaction and cross-department exchange, and contributes to greater well-being and job satisfaction.
The dog office is covered with stain-proof carpet, free dog food, and an indoor play area for a toss-and-fetch session in between meetings.
The dog area is located in a closed-off part of the office so that those with allergies or those who just aren’t dog people can still work there. A dedicated elevator indicates it only stops at the dog area on the 25th floor.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What kind of criteria does Fujitsu have for employees who wish to bring their dogs to the office?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.