Doomsday Clock – level 2
In 1947, a group of scientists including Albert Einstein created the so-called Doomsday Clock.
Every year, nuclear and climate experts meet and move the clock’s hand. If the scientists think that the world is getting closer to a catastrophe, they move its hand closer to midnight.
When the clock first started ticking, its hand was seven minutes before midnight. When the Soviet Union tested the first atomic bomb in 1949, scientists moved the clock’s hand to three minutes to midnight. In 1991, the hand moved down to 17 minutes to midnight, the farthest it ever was.
Since that time, the hand moved closer and closer to midnight because of the climate crisis and geopolitical problems. Last week, scientists moved the clock’s hand to 90 seconds to midnight. We are closer to destroying the planet than ever before.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What was the Doomsday Clock originally set at?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.