Drone with drugs in Mexico – level 3
As controversy around drone legislation rages on, the anti-drone movement can add drug smuggling to their list of problems after a remote control device crashed in Tijuana.
Officials reported that three kilos of meth were crudely strapped to the craft, as it made its way across the border between Mexico and California.
No arrests have been made, but authorities are currently trying to find out who was controlling it and where it came from. Local safety official Daniel de la Rosa said the ill-fated flight was not the first time drone technology has been used by drug dealers.
As US and Mexican authorities crack down on drug smuggling across the infamous border, Mexico’s drug cartels have reportedly used ultralight aircraft and also tunnels to transport drugs north. And recently, drones have been found crashed outside prisons with marijuana and cigarettes strapped to them.
Difficult words: controversy (a conversation where many people feel very strongly), legislation (laws), rage (move quickly), drug smuggling (moving drugs illegally), meth (a synthetic and illegal drug), crude (not well done), ill-fated (unlucky), crack down (to fight against), infamous (well-known for being bad), cartel (a group of people who agree to sell their products at a particular price), reportedly (according to what some people say), ultralight (extremely light).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.