Drug Daraprim – level 3
Daraprim, the drug which the World Health Organisation lists as an essential medicine against to malaria, has recently caused global outrage after a price hike from $13.50 to $750. It seems that the active ingredient for the life-saving anti-malarial drug can be produced for just 2 US dollars.
Under supervision from the University of Sydney and global members of the open-source malaria consortium, a group of Australian year-11 pupils and their teacher produced the drug. It was not a straightforward process, and it required a lot of dedication and extracurricular time on the pupils’s parts.
Difficult words: outrage (an extremely strong reaction of anger or shock), consortium (a group of several companies), dedication (hard work, wanting to do something), extracurricular time (the time when you do not have to be at school).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.