Drug Lord Escapes Prison – level 3
Joaquin Guzman, Mexico’s notorious drug dealer commonly known as El Chapo, escaped from a maximum-security prison in a mile-long tunnel.
Based on the height, width and extension of the tunnel, the estimated amount of earth removed would have filled 379 lorries. The air-conditioned tunnel provided enough room for a speedy exit during which Guzman disposed of a bracelet that only he and a few other high-risk inmates had to wear. Authorities believe that there may have been a motorcycle waiting for his escape.
All of Mexico’s security forces coordinated to capture the drug lord, with a 3.8 million US dollar on offer and 34 people being questioned within four days.
Difficult words: notorious (well known for doing something bad), extension (length), inmate (prisoner).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
How is this possible?!
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos