Drug-smuggling tunnel – level 1
This news is from Tijuana. Tijuana is a Mexican city. It is at the border with the USA. Some people build a tunnel there.
The tunnel leads to the USA. The tunnel is not finished. It is a drug-smuggling tunnel. Mexican police find the tunnel. In April, they found two more tunnels.
There are many tunnels from Mexico to the USA. The border is 322 kilometres long. From 2005 to 2015, police found 75 tunnels.
Difficult words: border (a line where one country ends and another country begins), smuggle (to move things illegally from one country to another country).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about these tunnels in Mexico to the USA?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.