Dry American rivers – level 2
Big heatwaves in the US are bringing drought, which has a bad impact on rivers. The water levels of many US rivers are dropping. In some areas, people cannot travel by boats because the water is not deep enough.
The Mississippi River is the largest river in the US, and some parts of it are very different now than a decade ago. Some of it is sand dunes, and people can walk on the bottom of the river.
The drought affected almost all of the Mississippi’s tributaries, and farmers cannot easily sell their crops. Farmers use big boats to move their crops from fields to international markets. The rivers are not deep enough for these big boats; farmers must use smaller boats which carry less crops.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.