Durian Fruit – level 2
The durian is a tropical fruit from Malaysia. It is famous for its sharp smell and unusual taste. A town in Malaysia celebrated it in its first International Durian Tourism Festival. Many tourists visited the town to eat the savoury yet sweet fruit.
Some people think that durian smells like sewage, rotting meat, or gym socks. The smell is so strong that it is illegal in hotels and public transport in Southeast Asia.
However, people use the flavour in ice-creams and drinks. Malaysia hopes to start exporting the fruit more.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.