Dying Teenagers – level 3
According to the CDC (an American organisation concerned with health and safety), suicide is the second leading cause of death in young people in the USA.
An American hospital carried out a nationwide study which looked at suicide rates of people aged 10–19 between 1975 and 2016. Suicide rates among young people have been on the rise for years, but it is growing faster among young girls.
This data still shows that boys are more likely to kill themselves than girls, although starting in 2007, suicide rates for girls aged 10–14 went up by almost 13 per cent each year.
Unfortunately, the study did not find out why more girls are killing themselves, but some think that the pressure of social media can be a factor.
Difficult words: suicide (the act of killing yourself), suicide rate (how many people commit suicide).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos