Ear on the Arm – level 3
A Chinese man lost an ear during a tragic car accident and ever since felt incomplete. Doctors in the city of Xi’an are trying to change that.
To begin the pioneering procedure, they took cartilage from Mr Ji’s ribs and then cut the cartilage into the shape of an ear. Subsequently, they implanted the cartilage under the skin of the man’s forearm, which was perhaps the most complicated and dangerous step but it was a success.
The artificial ear now needs to grow for at least another three months before the final surgery when it will be transplanted onto his head.
Mr Ji has gone through many operations since his accident, not only for his ear, but also for his skin and cheeks. He hopes that the operations will eventually bring him back a normal life.
Difficult words: pioneering (innovative, new), cartilage (a flexible material of the body), subsequently (then, afterwards), i.e. (that is).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos