Earthquake in Chile – level 1
An earthquake hits in Chile. It happens in the north of the country.
One woman says that the earthquake is strong. Everything moves. The earthquake lasts a long time, too.
The earthquake makes a tsunami. People run away. They run to the mountains. Prisoners use the situation. They escape from jail. The police catch 16 of the prisoners. The police look for the rest of them.
Difficult words: earthquake (when the ground moves), tsunami (very big wave), prisoner (person who is in jail).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.