Earthquake in Chile – level 3
A major earthquake has struck off the coast of Chile. The 8.2 magnitude quake hit around 100 kilometres northwest of Iquique near the Peruvian border. It triggered a tsunami with the biggest wave reported at just over two metres. At least five people have died.
This woman said it was too strong and that everything in the old part of the city moved a lot. While this resident said it was very long and all they could do was pray with their daughter.
There was an evacuation from the low-lying city up the mountainside and authorities said thousands of people had been on the move. The tsunami warning had been in place until early this morning. The area around Iquique has been on alert in recent weeks due to a number of tremors. It is a key copper exporting port, but firms said there had been no serious damage to the operations. Prisoners took advantage of the confusion and escaped jail. Some 16 of the women were recaptured, but security forces have been searching for the rest.
Difficult words: trigger (start), tremor (small earthquake).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.