Earthquake in Indonesia – level 2
A 7.5-magnitude earthquake hit near the Indonesian island of Sulawesi which triggered a 3-metre tsunami that smashed into two cities on the coast. These cities are home to 600,000 people.
The tsunami killed more than 832 people and destroyed hospitals, hotels, a shopping centre, and thousands of homes. The event affected the lives of as many as 1.6 million people.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.