Earthquake in Indonesia – level 3
A 7.5-magnitude earthquake hit near the Indonesian island of Sulawesi, triggering a 3-metre tsunami, which smashed into two cities on the coast.
Palu and Donggala are the cities affected the worst, and they are home to over 600,000 people. At least 832 people have been confirmed dead, thousands of homes collapsed, along with hospitals, hotels, and a shopping centre. The disaster affected as many as 1.6 million people, according to Red Cross estimates.
Difficult words: trigger (start), estimate (a careful guess based on data).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos