Earthquake in New Zealand – level 1
In New Zealand, there are two big islands. These are the North Island and the South Island. An earthquake hits the South Island.
It hits only 14 kilometres from a city. It hits after 1 p.m. on Sunday. Many people are at the beach. The earthquake is strong. Rocks fall from the cliffs. Luckily, nobody is injured.
In 2011, there was a very strong earthquake there. 185 people died. This area often has earthquakes. This area lies on the Pacific Ring of Fire.
Difficult words: earthquake (when the earth or ground moves), cliff (a wall of rock by the sea), was (past of “is”).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the earthquake in New Zealand?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.