Earthquake on Hokkaido – level 2
A powerful earthquake hit Hokkaido last Thursday, which is Japan’s northernmost main island. The island’s largest city Sapporo was hit at 3:08 a.m.
The earthquake injured over 150 people, and seven people died. The earthquake triggered many landslides, cracked roads, and buried vehicles in mud. Almost three million people were left without electricity.
The Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said that he would send 25,000 soldiers to help with the rescue efforts.
Difficult words: trigger (start), vehicle (cars, truck, motorbikes), rescue efforts (the actions of making things work again and saving people).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos