Earthquake on Hokkaido – level 3
A powerful earthquake hit wide areas of Hokkaido last Thursday, which is Japan’s northernmost main island. The island’s largest city of Sapporo was hit at 3:08 a.m.
The 6.7-magnitude quake injured over 150 people and killed at least seven. It triggered dozens of landslides, cracked roads and buried vehicles in several feet of mud. Almost three million people were left without electricity due to an emergency shut-down of the main power plant.
The Japanese Prime Minister, Shinzo Abe, pledged to send 25,000 troops to assist rescue efforts.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.