Earthquakes in Japan – level 1
This news is from the south of Japan. There are two earthquakes. Nine people die. The earthquakes injure hundreds of people. 44,000 people evacuate. They evacuate to schools.
Some people do not evacuate. They are still afraid. They are afraid to stay at home. They sleep outside. They wake up. They see broken roads and houses.
These earthquakes are less strong than the earthquake in 2011. However, these earthquakes hit close to people.
More than 3,000 soldiers, policemen and firemen help in the area. There can be smaller earthquakes.
Difficult words: earthquake (when the ground moves and it breaks things), injure (to hurt people), evacuate (to move away because of danger).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.