Easter in the Philippines – level 1
This news is from the Philippines. Eighty percent of people in the Philippines are Catholic. Every year, they have an eight-day festival. It is the Holy Week. It ends on Easter Sunday.
During the festival, Crucifixion rituals happen. They happen on Good Friday. Some people are crucified. They are put on big crosses. This is extremely painful. This is also a show. Hundreds of visitors come to see the show.
The Catholic Church does not like these rituals.
Difficult words: during (at the time of), crucifixion (when you are crucified – Jesus was crucified when people nailed his hands and feet to a big cross), ritual (a religious ceremony many people do many times).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.