Easter in the Philippines – level 2
Some Catholics in the Philippines re-enacted Jesus Christ’s crucifixion on Good Friday. People nailed their hands and feet to crosses, which was extremely painful.
The crucifixion rituals take place every year during the Holy Week, which is an eight-day festival that ends on Easter Sunday. The show attracts hundreds of visitors each year, and it is a Philippine tradition. Catholics make up 80% of the country’s population.
However, the Catholic Church says that self-crucifixion is not what the faith is about.
Difficult words: crucifixion (killing somebody by nailing him or her to a cross), nail (to fix something somewhere with a nail – a piece of metal), faith (religion).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.