Ed Sheeran wins in court – level 1
Ed Sheeran is a British singer. He writes a song named “Shape of You” in 2017. The song becomes one of the most popular songs in the world.
Sami Switch is another British singer. He writes a song called “Oh Why”. He writes the song two years before Ed Sheeran writes his song.
Switch says that a part of Sheeran’s song is very similar to his own song. Switch says that Sheeran steals a part of the song. The singers go to court.
The court decides that Sheeran doesn’t steal the song. Sheeran is happy. He says that it is hard to be a songwriter. People can find thousands of songs. It sometimes happen that some songs sound similar.
Difficult words: steal (to take something what belongs to somebody else), court (a group of people who decide if somebody does something wrong and what happens to him), songwriter (a person who writes songs).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.