Ed Sheeran wins in court – level 2
Ed Sheeran is a British singer who wrote a song named “Shape of You” in 2017.
The song became the best-selling song in the world, and it had more than three billion plays on Spotify. Then another singer named Sami Switch accused Sheeran that he stole a part of his song which he wrote two years earlier. Switch said that the ‘oh I, oh I, oh I’ part was similar to the chorous of his song. Sheeran said that it was usual in pop music that some melodies sound similar.
Last week, Sheeran won a court battle against Switch. Sheeran said that he was happy, but he said that it was a hard situation for songwriters. It was cheaper to pay money to the other artist than to fight in court.
Difficult words: accuse (to say that someone did something wrong), chorous (a part of a song which repeats more times), songwriter (a person who writes popular songs or the music for them).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos