Egypt mummies – level 2
On Saturday, there was a special ceremony in Cairo, Egypt. Officials transported 22 mummies from a museum in central Cairo to a new National Museum of Egyptian Civilization.
Organizers transported the mummies on vehicles which looked like ancient boats. Egyptians used similar boats to carry dead kings and queens to their tombs. The vehicles had shock absorbers that were special devices that made the journey safer for the mummies. The mummies were around 3,000 years old and they included famous Queen Hatshepsut and King Ramses II. People believe that Ramses II was the greatest and most powerful pharaoh of Ancient Egypt.
Organizers held this ceremony because they wanted to show the best of Egypt, and they hoped that more tourists would visit the country.
Difficult words: mummy (a body of a dead person or animal which people made to last for a long time after the death), tomb (a large stone structure where people put the dead body of an important person), pharaoh (a king of ancient Egypt).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos