Egypt mummies – level 3
22 prized royal mummies were transported through Cairo, Egypt, on Saturday, in a lavish multi-million-dollar parade, after which they were put on display at the new National Museum of Egyptian Civilization.
Organizers transported the 18 kings and four queens from the Egyptian Museum in Central Cairo and through the capital in chronological order according to their reign. Each mummy was carried on a specialized vehicle outfitted with shock absorbers and accompanied by a motorcade. The vehicles were designed to resemble the ancient boats that were used to carry deceased pharaohs to their tombs.
The mummies were originally buried 3,000 years ago, and they included Queen Hatshepsut and King Ramses II, who was one of the biggest draws of the event. He ruled for 67 years, and he is thought to have signed the first known peace treaty.
The ceremony was designed to showcase the country´s rich heritage in an effort to attract tourists.
Difficult words: lavish (impressive and luxurious), shock absorber (a device on a vehicle that reduces the effects of traveling over uneven ground), motorcade (a line of slowly moving cars that are usually part of a public ceremony).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.