Egyptian Christians Are Attacked – level 3
Twenty-eight Egyptian Christians died in an attack when gunmen shot at a bus that was headed to the Coptic holy site called St. Samuel’s Monastery. No group claimed responsibility for the atrocity, but the Islamic State attacked this Christian community last month with two suicide bombs. A survivor of the bus attack said that the gunmen wore military uniforms and masks.
Egyptian authorities added more security around Christian places of prayer since the spate of attacks. The president said that he will punish the groups responsible.
With increasing security threats from Islamist militants in Egypt, the beleaguered Christian minority will likely fall victim again.
Difficult words: Coptic (the Egyptian word for ‘Christian’), atrocity (a terrible thing), spate (many things happening at once), beleaguered (under attack), minority (a small group of people).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos