Egyptian Elections – level 2
Egypt is electing a new president and the government sent tens of thousands of soldiers to every polling station. They are there to provide protection for 60 million voters – there were attacks on voters in the past. The government hopes that the presidential elections will be legitimate if enough people come.
The current president, Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, is running for president again and people think that he will win. As he has only one person running against him. People say that he used force to make other people running against him give up.
Difficult words: elect (vote, choose), polling station (a place where you can vote), legitimate (seen as true).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos