Egyptian Ex-President Dies – level 3
According to state-run media, the former Egyptian president, Mohammed Morsi, died shortly after a court appearance last Monday.
He was attending a hearing for his trial in an espionage lawsuit when he collapsed and died before he could go to hospital. He had been serving prison sentences for various crimes, and people say that his imprisonment conditions were contributing to his deteriorating health in recent years.
He became Egypt’s first democratically elected president in 2012 after Mubarak during the Arab Spring. A year later, however, the military overthrew him, following mass anti-government protests. Other now-banned leaders from the Muslim Brotherhood and he were arrested and jailed.
Difficult words: former (-ex), espionage (being a spy), deteriorate (get worse).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos