Egyptian Presidents – level 2
Egypt’s government gave the Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi more parliamentary power. Nearly 90 per cent of Egyptian voters approved it.
Now, Egyptian presidents can be presidents for two terms, and each term is six years long instead of four years long. El-Sissi, however, can run for a third term – he can run for president in 2024 for the third time and be president until 2030. Sissi thanked the Egyptian people in a tweet on Tuesday.
All of this comes as a surprise because in 2017, Sissi said that he would not run for a third time. Last year, most voters re-elected him. That was not surprising because some of his opponents were put in jail or were forced to quit the race.
Difficult words: approve (say ‘yes’), term (the duration of time when somebody is president), several (some), race (talking to people so that they choose them as their president).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos