Egypt’s pyramid restoration – level 1
Workers in Egypt are fixing a pyramid called Menkaure. This pyramid is close to the Sphinx and the two large pyramids at Giza.
Workers want to put granite on top of the pyramid. It will look new. But some people are not happy about it. An expert, Monica Hanna, thinks that it is a silly idea. It breaks all the rules for fixing old things. The workers say that it is a big gift for the world.
The plan is to finish the pyramid in three years. Many people in Egypt talk about taking care of old things, like buildings and special places. Egypt gets a lot of money from tourists. The country must think carefully about what to do with old buildings.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the potential impact of putting granite on top of the Menkaure pyramid and how does it relate to Egypt's tourism industry?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.